Abbaye Saint Eusebe

84400 SAIGNON

France

04 90 74 32 37

HISTORY

Saint Eusèbe, an old Benedictine Abbey, is niched in the heart of a small valley at the foot of the eastern part of the rock of Saignon. It is said that it was built during the early Middle Ages by Saint Matian, who lived in this place. It was destroyed during the barbarian invasions a few years before the year 1000. The great Abbey dedicated to Saint Maurice and Saint Just was then built. Regardless, the first insured document is the deed of foundation or restoration that dates back to the year 1004.

Robert de Vacaron, a powerful lord of Saignon, related to the family of Saint Mayeul founded the monastery of Saint Eusèbe. In the year 1032, Eldebert, Lord of Saignon gave the restored Abbey to the order of Saint Gilles. Saint Odilon, Abbot of Cluny, took charge of it and brought in the monks. In 1096, during a return journey from a council, Pope Urban II halted at Saint Eusèbe and consecrated a church that had just been rebuilt. Saint Eusebius then became powerful and prosperous.

The nave is divided into three bays and covered by a barrel vault held by double arches that rest over pilasters on back bearers. Between these pilasters along the side walls are banded double protruding discharge arches. A moulded cornice in the shape of a doucine goes to the beginning of the vault. In the first bay, there was a vaulted stand. In recent times, this gallery has been extended throughout the nave, dividing the building into two levels. Saint Eusèbe remains the precious witness of the only Benedictine Abbey established in Provence in Roman times. It is a simple edifice yet strong and refined edifice with no superfluous decoration.

The estate was passed down from generation to generation. In 1996 the Ribeiro family received this property from their parents, the Etienne family. Mrs Catherine and Mr Carlos Ribeiro are the fifth generations to own the Abbey. Mr and Mrs Ribeiro restored the Abbey in 1996 to give new life to this protected site, which is a part of our historical heritage. 2017 will be a landmark for the family business, it will mark the 20 years of the business.

PORTFOLIO

Lorem ipsum dolor Tempora ipsam numquam enim nostrum laudantium fuga aut!